Where has the time gone? I cannot believe it is February already! It has been full steam ahead at CWP Central since I’ve returned from holidays a couple weeks ago and I am really looking forward to the year ahead! And many couples are as well.
Now is the time when many soon to be brides and grooms finally have the chance to breathe and plan their wedding, but where to start? Below is an editiorial I wrote which will be in the CairnsLife NQ Wedding & Formal Expo edition. Hopefully it will guide you on the path towards a stress free wedding.
Wedding Planning Basics – Where to Start?
You’re engaged…Congratulations! But after the ring starts settle on your finger, the panic sets in; this is very likely the biggest fiesta that you are ever going to throw and you need to know where to start and how!
A wedding is a big project so you need to start with the basics and build up from there:
- GET ORGANISED! Sit down and set up a folder, either on your computer or in writing. This will be your note central to keep all of your thoughts and wants in one area.
- LOGISTICS: Talk to your fiancé and family and work out the important details like, what time of year, what is your budget, who is paying for what, are there any special traditions you want to incorporate?
- BUDGET: Weddings are very rarely Carte Blanche, make sure you settle on exactly how much you want to spend and be firm on that number but make sure you are realistic on what you want your budget to do.
- HIRE A PLANNER/COORDINATOR: A Planner will be there from day one and will actually save you time and money by using their expert knowledge. A Day of Coordinator ensures that your vision is brought to life and that everything runs smoothly on the day.
- RESEARCH: Weddings do cost so make sure you have realistic expectations of what kind of day you want. Look into different vendors and see if what they offer fits your style, personality, and budget.
- BOOK: After you have done your research, start booking! Vendors get booked up well in advance so do not hold off on making your deposits. A majority of vendors just need a deposit to hold your date and are happy to work out the minor details later (i.e. flower colours).
- PIN YOUR HEART OUT: Pinterest is a god send for the wedding world. Florists, Photographers, and Planners all use this regularly as it gives the vendors an insight into what you really envisage for your big day. It also helps for those great DIY ideas!
- WORK OUT A TIMELINE: Now that everything is booked and the details are worked out, set up a timeline so your vendors, bridal party, M.C., etc. are all on the same page. Make sure this is distributed at least a week in advance
- ENJOY!: After all the hard work is done, relax, have a sip of bubbles and enjoy your day and celebrate the fact that these guests are there to celebrate your love and show their support for you as a couple.
Keep in mind the NQ Wedding & Formal Expo is on at the Pier on Sunday th 17th of February. Take a look for the CWP booth! Kirsty, my design guru and wedding junkie 2IC will be there as well as Nyssa, one of our beautiful brides from August 2012, and of course, yours truly.